Sunday, October 28, 2012

Product Shots: Crayon Package


These are the newest product shots, changed to a grey background.







These are my three final crayon box designs! This project was a great way to jump deeper in graphic design and experiment with dominant images/minimal type. This has been my favorite project thus far into the semester because it is the first thing I have made that people come by and pick up. The physical part of this project is very rewarding, especially when someone picks up because they want to see more of it because it sparks their curiosity. 


 For this box design I was aiming to show fun, dynamic and movement. I made burst/firework shaped crayons using dilation and rotational symmetry for the movement. I then paired the CMY overlapping colors for the fun bright feeling.


For this second design my goal was to convey sophistication and elegance with a dynamic bold style. I was focusing on using figure ground, balance and continuation to achieve this.



For the third design I was using an actual image of crayons to show simplicity and quality of the product inside. The design was based more on proximity grouping and figure ground. The progression of figure ground for this box has changed quite a bit starting at black and moving to white, and finally with a white crumpled paper behind it.








Monday, October 22, 2012

Final Book Cover Presentation

This is the final keynote presentation for this project. I found this project to be a challenge to conceptually illustrate the ideas while still relating it to the story. In the end I think I made a decent set of covers, but I think they could still be better. I tried to work from a progression of graphic imagery to more photographic imagery because you usually see either or on professional book covers (or illustrations, but we had to use photography for this project).







Book Cover Process

These are a few of my rough photographs from my first time around. The crayon ones are from 12 Moments in the Life of an Artist, the one with the person is The Great Leap Forward.


I find it easier to jot out my ideas, so this is a page in my sketchbook of brainstorming, below are some of my sketchs.

















Crayon Packaging

So I have been working on this assignment for a few weeks now, and the objective of the assignment is to make a minimalist design of product, primarily using imagery of items the box contains. Text was ment to be small and informative but not a dominant factor of the design. My package is a pack of 24 Crayons. 

This is the most recent set, and I have another one on the way. The new changes will be a crinkled paper texture behing the crayons on the far left box, an actual crayon texture on the center box, and an increase in pattern size on the right box.

 This box is based on an overlapping CMYK design, a three color design, where areas overlap and create new colors. I was focusing on the design principles of dilation and rotational symettry. This box is ment to show fun and energy.
This one shows energy and some sophistication.
 This was the second round of boxes, and the CMYK box was design off of the box on the right.
 This was my original set of boxes. My main weakness of these is that the imagery isn't strong enough and I made the text very dominant.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Typographic Metaphor

For this assignment I did the words neglected, deteriorate, and shatter and the objective was to visual represent the essence of the word. Neglected was done purely in digital form, and then both my deteriorate and shatter where done through analog manipulation, and then transfered back to vectors in Illustrator. 




This shatter was done as more of an experiment with the figure ground balance and legibility. I didn't think that it would be good for the final but I think it was good progress to get to before I did my final one. After doing this one I decided that there needed to be more emphasis on a physical shattered look, and cut the letters into much smaller pieces and focused more on arrangement.

With this deteriorate I was just trying to physically destroy the word with paint and scraping it with an x-acto knife. I enjoyed the process, but latter realized it wouldn't translate to black and white vectors. I then decided to use stippling in the final with the slow progress of it becoming more abstract and disappearing.


 These are my original sketches, with a few notes to changes for the final.