Wednesday, October 23, 2013

[Questionnaire] Packaging Assessment

Are you familiar with any background information on the product?

Yes, I am knitter and know several people in the knitting community. My mother personally knows three people that own boutique style yarn stores.

What's the objective assignment? (For example, the objective might be to re-introduce the product targeting a younger age group.) 

To have a multi-use box that a boutique yarn store can package sold yarn and buyers can use as a yarn distributor while knitting.

Who is the target audience? 

Knitters, which is mostly middle aged women and some younger women

What is the product description? 

Creating a series of boxes with the intention of multi-use. When yarn is purchased at a boutique knitting shop their yarn will be placed in one of these boxes after being wound for the customer to take home and use the box as a yarn distributor while knitting their project.

Does it have any components?

3 different sized boxes, hole in the top to distribute the yarn, die cuts so you can see the yarn inside, and a slot to hold the yarn label.

What are the benefits of the product?

Multi-use purposes, re-useable rather than a disposable bag

Is there support for these claims?

N/A

What elements (barcode, price tag, etc.) must appear on the package?

The brand of the yarn store, die cuts for usability, and baby some sort of design for aesthetics

Has the material already been selected, or is it still open for suggestion?

I'm thinking a type of chipboard, but I'm open to anything

What is the project budget? (This may limit your options for materials and design.)

N/A (but I am wanting this to seem lowish budget to it seems possible that a yarn store would actually make these)

Are there any other creative considerations (corporate colors, personal likes/dislikes, available resources such as copy, photos and/or illustrations)?

I'm still thinking about aesthetics, maybe a small fun illustration

What are the distribution considerations? (Is the product going to be shipped in dozens, 1/2 dozens, etc.) 
Given out depending how much merchandise a customer perchases in the store

What is the retail environment? (Is the product going to be displayed on peg board, shelves, point-of-purchase displays, etc.? Will it be available to the mass market or sold in a boutique shop, specialty store, etc.?) 

Botique style knitting store

What is the USP (unique selling point)?

N/A this box is not "selling" the product

2 comments:

  1. I think you've got all the technical bases covered and you've obviously really thought through everything. Aesthetically, I think a good idea might be to go with pretty neutral colors for your packaging—I want it to be able to match any yarn I buy. Have you thought about any way to hold my needles (since you're thinking of being able to knit straight out of the box) since I tend to shove my needle into my skein of yarn to hold them. I dunno. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Miss Morgan up there: you definitely seem to have put a lot of thought into this. I could definitely see the material being chipboard. That or possibly some kind of recycled board material? I feel like the audience that would be utilizing this may appreciate that. Maybe the color of the yarn should be visible as well and the packaging takes a backseat to the yarn itself–almost displaying the yarn instead of simply transporting it.

    ReplyDelete