Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pro-Practice Intro

For my future I know that I want to be a designer for most of my career, but I can see myself in more of a manegment position later on, but I'm not sure if I want to go as far up as a creative director.

My short term goals...

I want to have 3-4 internships before graduation (I have 2 under my belt already).
I hope to have some sort of design experience in the Netherlands. I'm guessing that will be the summer after graduation. The experience could be anywhere from an internship, to a study abroad program, or a trip I organize myself.
I want to work as a junior designer for a few years, probably in several different states and regions of the country, until I find a place I feel I can call home for a long time. Hopefully at a variety of firms  such as boutique and agency.
And last but not least, read a lot of books.

My long term goals...

I hope to find the right fit for my skills. I know its broad, but I'm sure the more I work and experience I gain I'll find myself fluctuating with what I do best. I know this will change over time, I just want to be aware and always being doing my best work, it is going to be what I do for the rest of my life.

I know I'll want to "climb the ladder" in the work field, but I'm not sure how far I'll go. Maybe a project manager, or a lead senior designer sort of thing. I can see myself eventually being a creative director–maybe– as of right now it sounds like a very complex job I'm not sure that I'll ever want to tackle.

Once I get established I'd like to start on some pro-bono work. I want to use my skills to help others.

Job listings!

http://72u.org/#apply/ I found this on Behance, it looks likes its an internship of sorts but it really interests me because its not totally focused on design. Its about critical thinking and getting together with a bunch of other people and learning, and pushing each other to be as creative as possible.

http://www.secondstory.com/studio/join-us Julie Beeler came and spoke to us about Second Story last year and ever since I have been in love. I love the ground breaking work they are doing in the deign and technology fields, and I hope I can by a part of something like that when I am a designer.

http://designjobs.aiga.org/jobs/52916/Freelance-Satellite-Design-Intern#type=2 This was posted on AIGA, and it caught my interest because the idea of working with/for someone while on different ends of the country is intriguing to me, and it sounds fun, t-shirt design!

http://www.behance.net/joblist/Design-DirectorSenior-Designer/25935http://www.equus-design.com/ this is another Behance, but  what i think is really great is that this is a branding company, but they also focus on making/designing products from scratch. Plus they are in Singapore, how awesome would it be to work outside of the USA?

http://www.wired.com/about/wired-jobs/ And based on what I might want to do someday with the happy medium of the publication world and the digital world, and design and tech/science all mixed up, Wired seems like it would be a perfect fit for me.


Reading Reaction

I thought this article was great! It was easy to ready, and kept my attention due to the non-linear type of writing. The main important points I got out of it were, work/life balance is important, everything is fleeting so make sure to keep an open mind and be prepared to move on to something else, and that it is ok to make mistakes/fail/have cliche moments.




No comments:

Post a Comment